[Foundation-l] Board committees update

Michael Snow wikipedia at verizon.net
Thu Apr 8 05:44:08 UTC 2010

Following up on Bishakha's appointment, this means we now have the full
complement of members on the Board of Trustees. With that taken care of,
for now we have decided to dissolve the nominating committee which
participated in the process. Again, I want to thank the volunteers on
the committee for their service and their help in seeking out and
screening candidates.

Part of the reason for this is that the board generally agreed that the
committees need further reorganization, and this will likely start with
the creation of a Governance Committee. For the vast majority of
nonprofit boards, this committee (which may go by different names) is a
basic organizational standard, designing the operational structure of
the board and overseeing its effectiveness. In our ad hoc organization,
we haven't gotten around to this properly, and I think the board's work
would benefit significantly. One of the first things a Governance
Committee would do is review which committees are needed, whether we
have them or not, what their responsibilities should be, composition and
so forth. More will be forthcoming as those recommendations are developed.

--Michael Snow