[Foundation-l] Welcome to a new board member

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 22:05:46 UTC 2010

I'm with Sydney :) Welcome Bishakha to our crazy projects and
community. Wiki(mp)edia is diverse, huge, decentralized, a little
overwhelming and full of some of the geekiest, most awesome people I
know -- I hope you can make it to Wikimania to meet some of them!

And as with all new board members, staff & others taking up a role in
the Foundation: if you have questions (whether about how to edit, or
the history of a project, or how something works, or anything at all)
don't hesitate to ask (via mail, irc, wiki talk page, etc). The
community may be argumentative & noisy but we try to be helpful too :)

-- Phoebe

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 9:08 AM, Sydney Poore <sydney.poore at gmail.com> wrote:
> Welcome Bishakha :-)
>
> From my perspective having more focus on women's related topics and
> issues in the WMF projects would be a good thing! So I welcome your
> involvement; including your perspective as someone who has encouraged
> and empowered women to contribute in the public domain on women's
> issues.
>
> Sydney Poore
>
> On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 9:35 AM, Bishakha Datta <bishakhadatta at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thanks, all. Thought I would just introduce myself a bit more.
>>
>> Building on Michael (Snow's) email, for the last 12 years I have run Point
>> of View (www.pointofview,org), a Mumbai-based non-profit that puts the
>> voices and points of view of women in the public domain through media, art
>> and culture. We work on issues ranging from domestic violence, sex workers'
>> rights, gender and HIV - to enabling women in low-income communities to
>> access and use digital technologies (video, photo, net) to tell their own
>> stories and talk about their own realities.
>>
>> Info-activism, specially via online platforms, is one of the issues that we
>> started working on a couple of years back. Our first foray into
>> info-activism was as one of the seeders of the Public Access Digital Media
>> Archive (http://pad.ma), which is built on open source software and
>> principles.
>>
>> Apart from managing POV, I also make documentary videos on issues of gender
>> and sexuality, and am currently writing a non-fiction book on the lives of
>> sex workers in India. I also serve on the boards of many other non-profits
>> that work in the Global South, including CREA (www.creaworld.org) and
>> Breakthrough (www.breakthrough.tv) - and consult for foundations and
>> non-profits in India, the US, and parts of Africa.
>>
>> Coming to Michael (Peel's) question about my prior involvement with
>> Wikipedia, I'm one of its millions of daily readers/users around the world.
>> I have yet to contribute enough by way of edits to call myself an editor.
>>
>> Cheers - and really do look forward to contributing in more ways than one,
>> Bishakha

<at> gmail.com *