[Foundation-l] Copyrighted maps and Derived works from copyrighted sources.

jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 1 05:49:20 UTC 2010

On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 5:42 AM, Samuel Klein <meta.sj at gmail.com> wrote:
> Mike,
>
> Thank you for starting this thread.  The most important point, from my
> perspective, is that the policies on OSM and Wikipedia are not
> compatible, in a way that makes geodata from Wikipedia time-consuming
> or impossible for some OSM editors to use.
>
> We should certainly see how we can align policies about maps and map
> data so that work isn't duplicated or wasted.  If in the process we
> discover that OSM standards are stricter than copyright demands, or
> that WP standards are more lax than they should be, we may be able to
> correct those points.

Exactly, that is my point. I just want some clarity and some direction on this.
I am a big proponent of wikipedia and I would love to see a closer
cooperation between them.

Some of my osm friends have given me a tip, the point is that the
google maps are not about US copyright law , but also about european
database law, and more importantly about contract laws.

Google payed $500 Million for the exclusive usage of geoeye-1 sat
photos, and they cover the publication and usage of these photos by
CONTRACT LAW, and click through terms of service.

You should read this blog about this topic as well, and the thousands
of comments
http://www.systemed.net/blog/?p=100

Additionally there is a video talk from the SoTM 08 from Ed Parsons on
this topic
http://vimeo.com/6751141
Ed Parsons: "What Map Maker is / is not" at SOTM08

Thanks for your interesting responses,
mike