[Foundation-l] a heads-up on Wikimedia France's adventures with the Frenc...

wiki-lists at phizz.demon.co.uk wiki-lists at phizz.demon.co.uk
Wed Sep 30 21:58:37 UTC 2009

wjhonson at aol.com wrote:
> [...]

You are confused. Lets parse the quote shall we?

   "Thus, public domain images that the taxpayer has *already paid for*."

would be the digitization of the images that the French taxpayers have
paid for. The following sentence:

   "They're owned by the public, not by the museum bureaucrats."

refers to the digitizations that the public (the French taxpayers) have
paid for. It can't possibly refer to the images themselves because in
most cases those images were either given to the Nation by their owners
in lieu if taxes, confiscated, or stolen during periods of war and
colonialism.

As such we aren't taking about "'The public' means all of the public,
here there and elsewhere." but a specific set of national taxpayers.