[Foundation-l] a heads-up on Wikimedia France's adventures with the Frenc...

wjhonson at aol.com wjhonson at aol.com
Wed Sep 30 00:40:19 UTC 2009

 -----Original Message-----

From: wiki-lists at phizz.demon.co.uk
Sent: Tue, Sep 29, 2009 5:31 pm
Subject: Re: [Foundation-l] a heads-up on Wikimedia France's adventures with the Frenc...

David Gerard wrote:
> 2009/9/28  <wiki-lists at phizz.demon.co.uk>:
>
>>  From the earlier poster Teofilo:
>>    I disagree. I think the priority is to have the full
>>    resolution pictures of Public Domain works.
>> That seems to be a demand to have the highest resolution copies possible.
>

> That sets it out as a goal, not a demand.

    "There is no need to negociate anything. There is no need
     to change a single word from the current French copyright
     law. Simply have the French government's cultural institutions
     (museums, archives) recognize that they have been wrong until now"

just doesn't read like a goal, its a demand.

> But getting back to the case in question - we're talking about the
> sort of museum that's actually a government sub-department. Thus,
> public domain images that the taxpayer has *already paid for*. I see
> nothing whatsoever unreasonable about the idea of asking-to-demanding
> those. They're owned by the public, not by the museum bureaucrats.

<<Whilst those digitalizations they may be owned by the French public,
they certainly aren't owned by the German public, British, Italian,
Spanish, or American public either.>>

"The public" doesn't have national boundaries.
"The public" means all of the public, here there and elsewhere.

W.J.