[Foundation-l] Status of flagged protection (flagged revisions) for English Wikipedia.

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 04:12:13 UTC 2009

Sue,

I sent the below included inquiry to wikitech-l regarding
http://flaggedrevs.labs.wikimedia.org/.

Now almost a month later I still  have received no response regarding
the status of
this test deployment. It is is still not active on the test site, —
although this
has literally gone on for months.

As far as I can tell this is one of the most significant initiatives
on English Wikipedia as of lately— in that it has site wide impact and
the design and decision of the configuration was the work of hundreds
of people, including a reworking after the WMF staff refused to
implement the initial decision which only achieved almost a decent
majority support, for lack of sufficient community support.   Now that
the plan has been improved and the support is overwhelming a commitment
to roll with this plan was made but no progress appears to be being made.
Inquiries have been met with silence.

I believe the community expects and deserves a greater level of
responsiveness from the staff of Wikimedia.

What I'd like to know—
 What is delaying this deployment?
 What is a reasonable expectation for the timeline in implement
community chosen decisions?
 How can communication be improved so that the communities high
priority implementations aren't ignored for weeks and even months by
wikimedia staff?
 How can the people who care about this help see it through to completion?

 What does this say about the enormous strategic projects initiate
when Wikimedia is already failing to meet its commitments on high
impact community initiatives?