[Foundation-l] Report to the Board July 2009

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 09:23:13 UTC 2009

2009/9/26 Samuel Klein <meta.sj at gmail.com>:

>> Mike Godwin completed a first draft of the revised trademark policy.

> - Nice.  Does this mean we are closer to a world in which awesome
> Wikimedia swag is easy to come by... and not through cafepress? [
> sorry, CP! :) ]

The chapters still can't do such things locally in a financially
feasible manner, i.e. one that doesn't result in boxes of shirts under
the bed forever. (Been there, got the box of T-shirts. I think we gave
them to the local charity shop after ten years.) Current rules are
that chapters can make stuff at no profit, only for members. This is,
in practice, completely unworkable and functionally equivalent to
declaring it impossible.

This desirable thing won't happen until there's a feasible way for
chapters to print and sell logo merchandise at a profit.

The problem is the extent to which a chapter may just turn into a
merchandise store. Which is a horribly plausible bad outcome, after
all.

(My workaround? Iron on T-shirt transfers made on an inkjet ;-) )

- d.