[Foundation-l] a heads-up on Wikimedia France's adventures with the French cultural authorities

Teofilo teofilowiki at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 07:45:48 UTC 2009

Hello GerardM,

I follow you on the multilingual issue. Some of the manyfold copyright
symbols I quoted in my previous message might apply to the annotating
text, and let alive creative text writers have the possibility to sell
their text for money. But that should not allow them to add a
copyright symbol on a photograph taken before 1906 by somebody else.

The topic raised in this discussion is not every GLAM. It is those
GLAM paid with the taxpayer's money which are part of the government
administration. I think the government should respect scrupulously
what the lawmaker is saying in the copyright law concerning Public
Domain. The Wikimedia Foundation and Chapters should not provide help
to civil servants wanting to have more than what the lawmaker allows
them to have. If the French Chapter capitulates in front of the civil
servant lobby, then the French Chapter loses any kind of
representativity of the public's interest. Ultimately, the French
Chapter would lose the public's confidence.