[Foundation-l] a heads-up on Wikimedia France's adventures with the French cultural authorities

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 16:51:02 UTC 2009

Hoi,
The world is not so simple. When we accept material from a GLAM in a low
resolution, we should be happy with what we get. When a GLAM considers this
an acceptance that this material is copyrightable they are wrong. When we
accept material we get it with annotations, we get it with all the aspects
that make this material worthwhile.

Our Commons material is useless if it was not for our categories, the
annotations of the material that we store. This is in my opinion the most
important part of the picture because this is what gives our material
relevance and makes it possible to find it. This is at the same time the
biggest problem of Commons. You can only find things when you know your
English.
Thanks,
     GerardM