[Foundation-l] a heads-up on Wikimedia France's adventures with the French cultural authorities

Teofilo teofilowiki at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 07:14:43 UTC 2009

David Monniaux said: "only in 2006 it was established for sure that
rights to works
done by civil servants as part of their duties belonged to their employer;"

No, it is the opposite. The new French Intellectual Property Code says
that the civil servant author remains the copyright owner of his work
whenever the work is used outside government purposes. See articles
L111-1 and  L131-3-1 of the Code. So for the Wikimedia projects'
purposes, the copyright holder is the civil servant himself or
herself, not the government.

Only in rare cases when the purposes of the Wikimedia projects and the
purposes of the French government overlap, could the government be
considered as being the copyright holder.

L111-1: http://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affichCode.do?idSectionTA=LEGISCTA000006161633&cidTexte=LEGITEXT000006069414&dateTexte=20090926
L131-3-1: http://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affichCodeArticle.do?cidTexte=LEGITEXT000006069414&idArticle=LEGIARTI000006278959&dateTexte=&categorieLien=cid