[Foundation-l] The $1.7 million question

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Wed Sep 16 03:17:20 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 10:47 PM, John Vandenberg <jayvdb at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 12:20 PM, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 10:12 PM, Gregory Kohs <thekohser at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Let me recommend something.  Pay Anthony Dipierro the sum of $5,500,
> give
> >> him server access, give him eight weeks, and if he doesn't produce a
> full
> >> history dump of the English Wikipedia, then perhaps his penance could be
> >> one-year ban from Wikimedia mailing lists?
> >

> > That's a bit presumptuous of you, Greg.
>
> I don't know the background of this, so I don't understand why this
> would be presumptuous of Greg.

I never said I could do this in eight weeks, I never offered a "penance" of
a one-year ban if I fail, and I certainly never committed to 40 hours a
week.  The penance especially doesn't make sense.  The WMF can ban me for
free if they want to.

While Gregs recommendation to have WMF grant to develop certain
> functionality, I would prefer that WMF offers bounties.

It's not clear to me how a bounty for developing functionality would work,
especially not for something complicated like fixing the dump system.  A
contracted out service as opposed to a per-hour rate, sure.  But a bounty?

I've just noticed that bounties are mentioned on this strategy proposal.

> https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/strategy/wiki/
> Proposal:Track_bugs_in_other_projects_impeding_our_progress

A bug bounty is generally given for finding a bug, not for fixing it.