[Foundation-l] Creative Commons publishes report on defining "Non-commercial"

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 18:29:23 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 2:19 PM,  <wiki-lists at phizz.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> You can't combine a CC-BY work with a CC-BY-SA work without either
> imposing a SA limitation on the CC-BY work,

Which anyone can do when combining CC-By and CC-By-SA works by others.

(If you don't want people adding random limitations to your works;
don't use CC-By)

> or removing the SA
> limitation on the CC-BY-SA work.

Which only the copyright holder(s) of the BY-SA work can do.

> Which is no different to that of
> someone combining CC-BY-NC-SA license with a CC-BY-SA license.

Not so, see above. I can't combine the NC-SA and SA works of third
parties without negotiating alternative license terms; the licenses
are mutually incompatible.

The limitation of BY-SA keeps the work and it's derivatives freely
licensed. True— it's a limitation, but it's one that merely
contravenes some of frequently anti-cooperative aspect of copyright
protection.

You can look at SA works as existing in a parallel copyright universe
where restrictive copyright controls do not exist. This is
categorically different from the (often vague) nature of use
restrictions connected with non-commercial licensing.