[Foundation-l] Do we have a complete set of WMF projects?

Brion Vibber brion at wikimedia.org
Thu Sep 10 16:07:08 UTC 2009

On 9/9/09 9:41 AM, David Gerard wrote:
> As Erik points out, at a certain point we have to actually write new
> code to support new ideas. Else "projects we could do at Wikimedia"
> becomes "projects we can do with a wiki engine."

IMO we need to do that for the projects we already have before we take
on new obligations!

We still have very poor software support for:

* Commons -- We need a sane upload and post-upload workflow (eg review
and deletion), and a clean system for handling structured metadata
(descriptions, authorship, licence info).

Some of this is being worked on now with Michael Dale's video & media
work, and the Ford Foundation grant will let us put more resources into
the workflow & metadata side, so this is the one I worry the least about. :)

* Wiktionary -- Really needs to be rebuilt as a structured system. It's
very hard to query Wiktionary or extract its data usefully, and there's
a lot of duplicated manual work maintaining it.

There was some third-party work done in this direction (Ultimate
Wiktionary/WiktionaryZ/OmegaWiki) which was very interesting but never
got the community buy-in to push that work back towards the live Wiktionary.

* Wikibooks -- We still have very poor native support for multiple-page
"books" or "modules", which complicates navigation, search, authoring,
and downloading.

Tools like the Collection extension are making it easier to download a
batch of related pages for offline reading, but someone still needs to
build those collections manually and they don't provide other navigation
aids.

* Wikinews -- Workflow on Wikinews has been aided by tools like
FlaggedRevs but is still a bit awkward. Native support for things like
exporting feeds of news articles is still missing, leading to a lot of
workarounds and manual effort being expended.

* Wikisource -- better native support for side-by-side translations,
annotations, and extracting/citing primary source material from the
other sites like Wikipedia would be very helpful.

-- brion