[Foundation-l] Do we have a complete set of WMF projects?

Jiri Hofman hofmanj at aldebaran.cz
Wed Sep 9 13:21:27 UTC 2009

Are inactive project in incubator really such a big problem? Could not be
strict deadlines given to new projects in incubator the solution of this
problem?

Jiri

On Wednesday, 09. September 2009 16:10:26 Robin P. wrote:
> In the past there were several project proposals on incubator, but we
> deleted them because they were not active. Since then, tests for new WMF
> projects are not allowed. If they were still allowed, Incubator would be
> full of inactive projects. Even now, there are inactive test projects for
> new languages, because the procedure is difficult and takes a very long
> time. I assume requests for creating entirely new projects would require
> even more difficult and longer procedures, resulting in an Incubator full of
> inactive tests.
>
> 2009/9/9 Brian <Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu>

> > > Certainly the process for getting a new project underway is so complex
> > > and exhausting that it's not something that many people will be likely
> > > to engage in - especially considering that project ideas are often
> > > proposed by people who aren't currently very active Wikimedians.
> > > Perhaps we need to set up a formal system for long-time Wikimedians to
> > > adopt ideas they're excited about, to help push them to approval? In
> > > any event, if you want to add to the Wikimedia family, my guess is
> > > that it's currently a commitment of 2-3 months of several hours per
> > > week to get to that point, provided it's achievable to begin with.
> > >
> > > I do think that project adoption is something that we should explore
> > > in the right circumstances; it's not something we've ever done but IMO
> > > we should be open to it. I don't think OpenStreetMap or OpenLibrary
> > > want or need to be adopted. ;-) But there may be other smaller
> > > semi-successful projects that would like to join our project family,
> > > and that would make sense as part of it.
> > >
> > > I would also make the point that adding capabilities to existing
> > > projects can be just as effective at cultivating new communities of
> > > participants as creating an entirely new wiki, and sometimes more so.
> > > For example, as of a few weeks ago, there's now a fledgling community
> > > of people on Wikimedia Commons who add annotations to images, because
> > > a volunteer developed a cool image annotation tool. The entire
> > > community of people adding categories to Wikipedia articles could only
> > > form after the categorization functionality was developed.
> > >
> > > Because the Wikipedia community is so vast, adding capabilities that
> > > engage more people on Wikipedia specifically, or improving access to
> > > the existing capabilities, can have dramatically greater impact than
> > > creating a blank-slate wiki.
> > >
> > > That is not to say that I think there should be no new blank-slate
> > > wikis, or wikis with custom software, for specific purposes. But I
> > > would also not see the fact that no new top-level Wikimedia project
> > > has been created in recent years as a sign of stagnation - wonderful
> > > capabilities have been created in the existing Wikimedia ecosystem in
> > > that same time period, some of them with dramatic positive impact.
> > > --
> > > Erik Möller
> > > Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation

> [...]

    *
       .
         .
           .                             ...
              .                       M45 ..
  M1            .
 #                .
* .                  .                  Jiri Hofman
       .                .    Opiskelijankatu 38 B28
             .            *                 Tampere
                   .       **                 33720
                       ¤.     .             Finland
                          **. *
                                .
 gsm: +358504661860                    .         .
      +358504384197                *            .
 http://www.aldebaran.cz/~hofmanj              .
                                              *