[Foundation-l] Do we have a complete set of WMF projects?

John Vandenberg jayvdb at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 01:14:09 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 9:42 AM, Yann Forget<yann at forget-me.net> wrote:
> Michael Peel wrote:
> [cut]
>
>> ** A few of my favourite examples: WikiJournal, publishing scholarly
>> works;
>
> These works are welcomed on Wikisource, if they are under a free
> license, of course.

And if they are beyond the scope of Wikisource, they would be suitable
on Wikiversity.

>> WikiReview, providing in-depth reviews of subjects;
>
> I think this can be hosted on Wikibooks or Wikiversity for the most part.

"reviews" are a mine field.  If they are educational, they can
probably go on Wikibooks, or even Wikipedia if written using existing
sources.

Wikinews may also be interested in publishing reviews.

>> WikiWrite, where fiction can be written collaboratively; etc.
>
> I don't think this fits very well in the Wikimedia mission.

If the objective is to learn, Wikiversity courses could be constructed
around fiction writing.

Wikinews may be interested in collaboratively composed cartoons and fiction.

> In the sum of all human knowledge, there are two projects which would be
>  nice complement to the Wikimedia family:
>
> 1. A database of all books. This is actually what OpenLibrary tries to
> do, with mitigated success, IMO. As you said, if we try and fail,
> nothing would be lost, as the result could be imported to OpenLibrary.
> We wouldn't need to start from scratch as the content of OpenLibrary is
> available and free.

I agree this is necessary.  This task is extremely large and complex,
and it does not hurt to have multiple "competing" open projects.
OpenLibrary publishes their data store, and our wiki would be
available as well, so the result will be cross pollination between
OpenLibrary and our project until they are more or less in sync and
the task is done.

> 2. A database of all people, i.e. genealogy. There is one project which
> is IMO a great technical success in this field: Rodovid
> (http://rodovid.org/).

Bringing Rodovid under the WMF umbrella would be great, and would
encourage more genealogy people to become involved Wikimedia.

--
John Vandenberg