[Foundation-l] Do we have a complete set of WMF projects?

Yann Forget yann at forget-me.net
Tue Sep 8 23:42:50 UTC 2009

Michael Peel wrote:
[cut]

> ** A few of my favourite examples: WikiJournal, publishing scholarly
> works;

These works are welcomed on Wikisource, if they are under a free
license, of course.

> WikiReview, providing in-depth reviews of subjects;

I think this can be hosted on Wikibooks or Wikiversity for the most part.

> WikiWrite, where fiction can be written collaboratively; etc.

I don't think this fits very well in the Wikimedia mission.

In the sum of all human knowledge, there are two projects which would be
 nice complement to the Wikimedia family:

1. A database of all books. This is actually what OpenLibrary tries to
do, with mitigated success, IMO. As you said, if we try and fail,
nothing would be lost, as the result could be imported to OpenLibrary.
We wouldn't need to start from scratch as the content of OpenLibrary is
available and free.

2. A database of all people, i.e. genealogy. There is one project which
is IMO a great technical success in this field: Rodovid
(http://rodovid.org/).

I like very much how the trees are displayed:
http://fr.rodovid.org/wk/Personne:29004 (Philippe the 3rd of France,
1245-1285). It show very well how the French and English monarchies are
related to each other. You can see the complete tree, but it takes ages
to load because of the size: more than 7000 people
(http://fr.rodovid.org/wk/Special:Tree/29004)

See also Elizabeth II: http://en.rodovid.org/wk/Special:Tree/29818
Complete tree: http://en.rodovid.org/wk/Special:Tree/29818

The Rodovid project has asked to be hosted by Wikimedia Foundation,
although I don't know if it still does.
It is based on an adapted version of Mediawiki, so it would be an easy
integration with current projects.

Regards,

Yann
--