[Foundation-l] Proposal: Commons Force

wiki-lists at phizz.demon.co.uk wiki-lists at phizz.demon.co.uk
Mon Sep 7 21:47:38 UTC 2009

Bod Notbod wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 8:40 PM, <wiki-lists at phizz.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>> On the subject of Flickr, I have a proposal.
>>>
>>> I'd like to see an option given to Flickr users to check "license for
>>> use on Wikipedia" which would be an easy way for people to
>>>
>>> a) make their pictures available to us and
>>>
>>> b) easier to find by Wikipedians.
>> You can already limit your search for CC-BY-SA images on flickr. Why
>> would you want to rename the license something else?
>
> That's easily answered.
>
> I'm not "renaming the license". I'm proposing that there be a tick box
> for that very same license with a more friendly tag that tells the
> user "can be used on Wikipedia". The license doesn't change, it's just
> the way it's communicated.
>
> I love and support the Creative Commons licenses, but they can present
> you with a lot of reading. A decision that says "can be used on
> Wikipedia" would be much more immediate.

It is also very misleading. Whilst many people would love to have their
work on wikipedia they might not want it used by Microsoft, News
International, Ford, Walmart, the Meat Marketing Board, or etc. So if
you feel that people need to be educated into using a license compatible
with wikipedia, you really do need to spell it out for them that they
are also making available to all those others too.