[Foundation-l] Proposal: Commons Force

Bod Notbod bodnotbod at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 21:23:06 UTC 2009

On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 8:40 PM, <wiki-lists at phizz.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>> On the subject of Flickr, I have a proposal.
>>
>> I'd like to see an option given to Flickr users to check "license for
>> use on Wikipedia" which would be an easy way for people to
>>
>> a) make their pictures available to us and
>>
>> b) easier to find by Wikipedians.
>
> You can already limit your search for CC-BY-SA images on flickr. Why
> would you want to rename the license something else?

That's easily answered.

I'm not "renaming the license". I'm proposing that there be a tick box
for that very same license with a more friendly tag that tells the
user "can be used on Wikipedia". The license doesn't change, it's just
the way it's communicated.

I love and support the Creative Commons licenses, but they can present
you with a lot of reading. A decision that says "can be used on
Wikipedia" would be much more immediate.