[Foundation-l] CommonsForce

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 13:13:42 UTC 2009

Hoi,
You do not set out to "educate" the UK National Portrait Gallery or any
other "hydra head". What you do is you engage GLAM and it helps when there
is a damn good introduction into the subject of copyright and licensing. At
the same time you have to engage in educating people why GLAMs are
important. Why they are essential to our culture and our projects. There is
a need for funding the conservation of our cultural heritage. It costs money
one way or the other. In my opinion there is a need for community and
government support and funding.

As long as you consider them the enemy, you are losing battles for hearts
and minds. It is only when we appreciate the other side of the story that we
may end the "war" and find ourselves a constructive peace.
Thanks,
       GerardM