[Foundation-l] WMF seeking to sub-lease office space?

geni geniice at gmail.com
Sat Sep 5 13:50:30 UTC 2009

2009/9/5 Gregory Kohs <thekohser at gmail.com>:
> I reported that the Wikimedia Foundation is seeking to sub-let space that it
> itself is renting.  I have an e-mail from the property management firm
> confirming "the Wikimedia sublease".  Erik Moeller has confirmed that the
> Foundation is seeking to sub-let space.
>
> Which "accusations" do you speak of?

"Now, only eight months later, are we to understand that instead of
having “outgrown” its office space on Stillman Street, the WMF is
swimming in surplus floor space, that they need to hire Grubb & Ellis
to sub-let it out to someone else?"

 WMF is swimming in surplus floor space?

> Why in the heck would I "apologize" for scooping the story that the
> Wikimedia Foundation is seeking to sub-let office space, if only the
> speculative intentions were a little off-base (I did not realize that the
> WMF does not intend to stay at Stillman Street a while longer, since the
> Foundation failed to communicate any significant "We're Moving Soon!"
> announcement to the community).

Spectacularly off-base. You threw in a bunch of accusations and
innuendo based on a complete misunderstanding of events.

The foundation doesn't talk about the particulars of it's office much
but descriptions and photos do exist and It wouldn't have taken much
work to realize that the amount described was pretty much consistent
with the foundation's entire office.

> I have issued a clarifying statement in the
> blog comments field, and that should be sufficient, unless someone feels
> they've been libeled by the Internet Review Corporation.  I've received no
> such legal complaint.

So only in the face of lawsuits will you ever consider apologising?
Thats... impressively amoral.

> When the Watergate story broke,

The people involved were far better at what they did than you are.
Investigative journalism is hard and involves more than grabbing a
factoid then coating it with acusations and spin which support your
world view.

--
geni