[Foundation-l] WMF seeking to sub-lease office space?

Gregory Kohs thekohser at gmail.com
Sat Sep 5 01:51:46 UTC 2009

So, not having known that 3,000 square feet was the sum total of the
current WMF space on Stillman, my original but unpublished hunch was
correct.  I'll quote an e-mail I wrote Sept. 3rd, at 4:39 PM:

"...If I had to formulate a theory, I'd say [Sue Gardner] thinks that
she's hired enough [personnel] that they now have the gravitas to move
into a new, bigger place of their own in San Francisco.  Stillman
Street was initially held up as a 'starter' home in San Francisco, so
this is just the logical next step now that grant money is pouring
in."

A little bird suggested I ask if the Foundation will be filing a Form
990-T once it finds a tenant, as it would be a business activity over
$1,000 unrelated to a non-profit mission and would thus possibly
trigger IRS rules regarding Unrelated Business Income Tax (which are
rather strict).  Among other things, the 990-T is a public form, so it
would force the Foundation to disclose further information on its
operations.

Then again, Wikipedia offers a very curious, opinion-based "original
research" assessment of this factor here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unrelated_Business_Income_Tax#UBIT_in_an_IRA

"This is possibly a myth."

The sum of human knowledge, folks.

--