[Foundation-l] 31 august, 20 years of our national holiday "Our romanian language" in Moldova, mo.wikipedia still in cyrillic !

Peter Gervai grinapo at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 07:42:10 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 08:59, Mark Williamson<node.ue at gmail.com> wrote:
> When you say "that _is_ the _moldovan_ language"... how does Cyrillic
> writing make it not Moldovan anymore?

On the contarary: latin script make it not Moldovan language anymore.

It's like saying old english (non latin script) should be used on enwp
instead of latin, and people may possibly be sent to latin script,
because how does old english scripting make it not english anymore?
(Yeah sure I know, it's probably not the very same language anymore,
but you may possibly see my point about what's defined as official
language with any given name, and its history. If it has been declared
that THE Moldavian is written in latin then cyrillic script isn't
today's Moldavian language anymore. It is a historical language, like
many converted from national to latin scripts in the recent decades.)

> Also, there is a very clear
> notice at the top directing people to Latin-alphabet content - it's
> not as if anybody is actually deprived of being able to read in their
> preferred script or is difficult to find.

I ain't no Moldavian but I'd guess here the priorities are exchanged.
Default should be latin script and it may direct anyone to historical
spelling by cyrillic. And if there's one-to-one relation betwen
cyrillic and latin script then we should make it automagic.

Peter

ps: I'm not against preserving cyrillic writing, but as it's been
mentioned: it doesn't match the language code. should be at least
renamed. as far as I see, which is maybe not much.