[Foundation-l] 31 august, 20 years of our national holiday "Our romanian language" in Moldova, mo.wikipedia still in cyrillic !

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 06:59:52 UTC 2009

When you say "that _is_ the _moldovan_ language"... how does Cyrillic
writing make it not Moldovan anymore? Also, there is a very clear
notice at the top directing people to Latin-alphabet content - it's
not as if anybody is actually deprived of being able to read in their
preferred script or is difficult to find.

Mark

On 8/31/09, Peter Gervai <grinapo at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 04:10, Mark Williamson<node.ue at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think it is fair to say that no language "belongs" to a country, it
>> belongs to all speakers... what about the hundreds of thousands of
>> people who write Moldovan in Cyrillic?
>
> According to Wikipedia (the enciclopaedia libre of the internet, did
> you know that? ;)) article
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moldovan_language:
>
> The standard alphabet is Latin (currently official in the Republic of
> Moldova). Before 1989, also two versions of Cyrillic had been used:
> the Moldovan Cyrillic alphabet in 1940-89, and the historical Romanian
> Cyrillic alphabet until 1857. As of 2008[update], the former remains
> in use only in Transnistria.
>
> This suggests that
> 1) language identification 'mo' is written in latin,
> 2) it _is_ the _moldovan_ language,
> 3) it is used by 90% of the population (4 million+).
>
> This hints to me as well that there is a language, which is the same,
> but written in cyrillic script and used in Transnistria (400 000+
> people), but:
> 1) I do not know its ISO code (definitely not "mo"),
> 2) I do not remember the policy to host the same language in different
> scripts, but if we support that, we should follow the already applied
> naming convention (I tend to remember something similar about serbian
> wp?)
>
>> Also I'm curious what Geni feels about them - using "mo" to refer to
>> Cyrillic Moldovan is not, in my view, "inaccurate", although it is not
>> as specific as perhaps it sh/could be.
>
> It discriminates 90% of the speakers against 10% of the speakers, so I
> would call it "inaccurate" as well.
>
> I can understand the frustration of the original poster, based on
> these facts. Especially since I'm well aware that that region is full
> of national pride, even if it ends in violence. Hot headed people. :-)
> --
>  byte-byte,
>     grin

skype: node.ue