[Foundation-l] Comparison of Chinese Wikipedia, Hudong and Baidu Baike

Apoc 2400 apoc2400 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 20:22:59 UTC 2009

I don't think the social parts are included in the article count, but we
really need to ask someone who has actual experience with these sites. I
think it is clear that these sites fill the same role as Wikipedia in China.
Perhaps they also fill other roles that we intentionally do not, like
gossip, social networking, indiscriminate collection of information...

What I would really want to know is how they deal with vandalism and edit
wars. What I think the demise of the Swedish competitor Susning.nu told us,
is that less strict more hands-off wiki is very popular with writers and
readers, but fails to attract enough administrator types to deal with
vandalism.