[Foundation-l] Alphascript Publishing scam

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Wed Oct 14 14:49:51 UTC 2009

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 10:30 AM, Gregory Kohs <thekohser at gmail.com> wrote:
> Look, if the license is itself a feeble instrument that almost begs to
> be mocked, then I guess the "caveat emptor" applies not only to the
> stooges who might buy these books (is there any evidence that anyone
> is actually purchasing them?), but also to the content generators who
> release their work under licenses they (falsely) think will carry some
> oomph in the marketplace.

Yes, you shouldn't submit anything to Wikipedia that you're not
comfortable basically releasing into the public domain.  The GFDL
offered little protection, CC-BY-SA offers even less, and the WMF's
interpretation of CC-BY-SA offers basically no protection (the only
entity that the WMF says has to be given credit is "Wikipedia", and
they can't even sue if that credit isn't given, so basically you've
got a catch-22 situation where the people who could potentially sue
aren't the people who are harmed).