[Foundation-l] Alphascript Publishing scam

Gregory Kohs thekohser at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 14:30:26 UTC 2009

Robert Rohde said:

+++++++++
At its core though, the fact that Wikipedia works can be repackaged
and sold is a feature of the free content movement.
+++++++++

Via trickery?  Some accomplishment.

Andrew Gray says:

=========
this may be a failing of Amazon
=========

Amazon...  Where have I heard that name?  Oh, yes!  They invested $10
million in Wikia, Inc., didn't they?  Sorry to see that they don't
help to respect the licenses that Wikipedia and Wikia are both built
upon.

Look, if the license is itself a feeble instrument that almost begs to
be mocked, then I guess the "caveat emptor" applies not only to the
stooges who might buy these books (is there any evidence that anyone
is actually purchasing them?), but also to the content generators who
release their work under licenses they (falsely) think will carry some
oomph in the marketplace.  I do agree with Mr. Gray that Amazon has
made a poor corporate judgment in not demanding more straightforward
attribution of its publishers.  I guess Amazon makes a number of bad
judgments.  Their stock is up less than 9% over 10 years, with no paid
dividends.

Greg