[Foundation-l] Status of flagged protection (flagged revisions)for English Wikipedia.

Happy-melon happy-melon at live.com
Sat Oct 10 08:23:40 UTC 2009

From: "Gregory Maxwell" <gmaxwell at gmail.com>
Sent: Saturday, October 10, 2009 12:22 AM
To: "Happy-melon" <happy-melon at live.com>; "Wikimedia Foundation Mailing
List" <foundation-l at lists.wikimedia.org>
Subject: Re: [Foundation-l] Status of flagged protection (flagged revisions)
for English Wikipedia.

> On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 7:03 PM, Happy-melon <happy-melon at live.com> wrote:
> [snip]
>> It's not just that.  On a technological level, considerable sections of
>> the
>> FlaggedRevs code are called on *every* page view, whether the page has
>> FlaggedRevs behaviour or not.  Even if it's eventually saying "no, carry
>> on
>> normally" in 99% of the cases, the question is still asked.  And asked on
>> every one of those six billion pageviews.  When the answer is "yes, we
>> need
>> to do something special here", of course, the load that the FlaggedRevs

> The overwhelming majority of those "six billion pageviews" never
> touches mediawiki at all— they're satisfied out of the frontend
> caches.

Yes, that is true, and I had neglected that point.  The squid infrastructure
was implemented precisely to save the Apache servers from five of those six
billion.  Or whatever the number is.

> Completely hogwash.

Not sure I'd go that far.  My point was that every time a page is rendered,
extension code adds load, whether or not the extension's behaviour is
apparent on that page.  Are you saying that that, too, is pure hyperbole?

> ...and it's not like we're talking about some extension which was only
> ever designed for tiny wikis (as many extensions are), dewp and enwp
> were always primary targets for this extension from inception.

Indeed.  Your point?

--HM