[Foundation-l] Status of flagged protection (flagged revisions) for English Wikipedia.

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Fri Oct 9 23:35:18 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 7:22 PM, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 7:03 PM, Happy-melon <happy-melon at live.com> wrote:
> [snip]
>> It's not just that.  On a technological level, considerable sections of the
>> FlaggedRevs code are called on *every* page view, whether the page has
>> FlaggedRevs behaviour or not.  Even if it's eventually saying "no, carry on
>> normally" in 99% of the cases, the question is still asked.  And asked on
>> every one of those six billion pageviews.  When the answer is "yes, we need
>> to do something special here", of course, the load that the FlaggedRevs
>
> Completely hogwash.
>
> The overwhelming majority of those "six billion pageviews" never
> touches mediawiki at all— they're satisfied out of the frontend
> caches.

That's what I was thinking.  FlaggedRevs works with the caching
software, to invalidate pages properly, right?

In theory, if the extension is written right, it could even enhance
performance, since the public version of articles will change less
often, and therefore be cached more often.

That is something that needs to be tested, of course.