[Foundation-l] Charity Navigator rates WMF

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Oct 10 07:50:22 UTC 2009

Anthony wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 7:41 PM, Samuel Klein <meta.sj at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> In my experience, high-school teachers were 90/10 anti Wikipedia 3
>> years ago, and are slightly in favor of it today.  This sort of thing
>> would be a fascinating survey to run year after year.
>>
> I don't know.  My evidence is all anecdotal, but the vast majority of
> what I hear from high school teachers about Wikipedia is playfully
> derogatory.  Not that they're against Wikipedia, any more than they're
> against Twitter or MySpace, but that they don't take it as a serious
> source of information.  "I read it on Wikipedia" is taken as about
> equivalent to "I read it on the Internet".

No surprise there.  I think that education systems are thoroughly shook
up about the internet.  They begin with a role reversal where the kids
know more than the teachers about how to effectively use this tool.
They also see some kids using the internet for really nasty purposes,
and don't know what to do about it.  To take Wikipedia "as a serious
source of information" will take time, and depend less on what we do
than on what they do.

Ec