[Foundation-l] Status of flagged protection (flagged revisions) for English Wikipedia.

Happy-melon happy-melon at live.com
Fri Oct 9 23:03:05 UTC 2009

"Jussi-Ville Heiskanen" <cimonavaro at gmail.com>
wrote in message news:4AC226E2.7010203 at gmail.com...
> Indeed I fully agree that ensuring that using the extension
> on massively edited pages is something that works fine, is
> entirely prudent; whereas ensuring perfect functionality
> for the full force of the extension for application on
> all English wikipedia pages, is probably less so.

It's not just that.  On a technological level, considerable sections of the
FlaggedRevs code are called on *every* page view, whether the page has
FlaggedRevs behaviour or not.  Even if it's eventually saying "no, carry on
normally" in 99% of the cases, the question is still asked.  And asked on
every one of those six billion pageviews.  When the answer is "yes, we need
to do something special here", of course, the load that the FlaggedRevs
extension applies to the servers increases further, but every extension
installed affects performance on every pageview, to a greater or lesser
degree.  In the case of the site that carries such a huge proportion of our
load *anyway*, "lesser" is definitely the degree to aim for.

--HM