[Foundation-l] Statistical research on Wikipedia (Godwin inspired)

Happy-melon happy-melon at live.com
Fri Oct 9 22:46:56 UTC 2009

"Gregory Kohs" <thekohser at gmail.com> wrote in
message news:14b1e7be0910081856r46863edcqea8c3a44420d2783 at mail.gmail.com...
> Both of these previous assessments I conducted for free.  No more.  I
> would
> actually enjoy (as I've e-mailed you privately) expanding the scope of my
> latter study to include perhaps 200 new articles.  But, that work on my
> part
> will cost the Foundation a $1,000 stipend.  That's a bargain for such a
> study.  Or, you can try to find a volunteer who will do it for a barnstar,
> but they might botch the sampling design.

Do you have appropriate means to demonstrate that you necessarily *won't*
botch the sampling design?  I'm sure that the number of people on this list
and within Wikimedia who have the appropriate qualifications to perform a
statistically-valid study, and the lack of incorrigible pessimism that would
allow them to not make a political gesture out of it,  is considerable.
However, they seem to have better things to do with their time than take
cheap shots on a mailing list.

"Wikimedia Foundation spends donor's cash on solicited contract work from
tradesman with unproven credentials.  Rightful outrage."

It's all in the way you say it.

--HM