[Foundation-l] Pedophilia and the Non discrimination policy

David Levy lifeisunfair at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 00:25:31 UTC 2009

Bod Notbod wrote:

> Well, I guess I just don't know where this conversation is going.
>
> A paedophile might know a lot about the Spanish Civil War and could
> usefully add stuff.
>
> A murderer might know a lot about Pokemon.
>
> A rapist might know a lot about physics.
>
> It's not like we're going to know the personality involved, so surely
> we just have to accept that editors come in all shapes and sizes and
> let them get on with it.

I agree.  When users edit the wikis to reflect
pro-pedophilia/pro-murder/pro-rape/pro-anything (or anti-anything)
agendas, that's when it's appropriate to act (regardless of whether
they've provided advance indication that such an issue might arise).

There's a world of difference between the block rationale "you edited
badly" and the block rationale "you didn't edit badly, but you're a
bad person."  We stand to draw more negative attention to ourselves by
deeming certain people "bad" than by allowing said users to edit under
the same rules as everyone else.