[Foundation-l] Pedophilia and the Non discrimination policy

Jake Wartenberg jake at jakewartenberg.com
Sat Nov 28 22:08:06 UTC 2009

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 4:37 PM, George Herbert <george.herbert at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 1:16 PM, Jake Wartenberg
> <jake at jakewartenberg.com> wrote:
> > I am not talking about "pedophilia activism", but instances where the
> > individual in question is not disruptively editing.
>
> There are a wide variety of reasons to permanently block people who
> were elsewhere identified (more commonly, self-identified) as
> pedophiles but edit here apparently harmlessly, including bringing the
> project into disrepute (Jimbo's wording, I think), the latent threat
> to underage editors, that they'd have to be watched continuously to
> make sure they did not start advocating or preying on underage users.

That sounds reasonable to me; but it should be made clear.  We can't have a
foundation policy that appears to contradict this, and if this is the
standard we are going to follow it should be written down.

> The Foundation and en.wp community policies are generally to be
> excessively tolerant of personal opinion and political and religious
> beliefs, etc.  We do not want to let one countries' social mores,
> political restrictions, civil rights restrictions limit who can
> participate and how.
>
> However, there's no country in the world where pedophilia is legal.
> It's poorly enforced in some, but there are laws against it even
> there.

There is a difference between having a disorder and acting on it.  The
former is of course legal.