[Foundation-l] Pedophilia and the Non discrimination policy

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 21:37:55 UTC 2009

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 1:16 PM, Jake Wartenberg
<jake at jakewartenberg.com> wrote:
> I am not talking about "pedophilia activism", but instances where the
> individual in question is not disruptively editing.

There are a wide variety of reasons to permanently block people who
were elsewhere identified (more commonly, self-identified) as
pedophiles but edit here apparently harmlessly, including bringing the
project into disrepute (Jimbo's wording, I think), the latent threat
to underage editors, that they'd have to be watched continuously to
make sure they did not start advocating or preying on underage users.

The Foundation and en.wp community policies are generally to be
excessively tolerant of personal opinion and political and religious
beliefs, etc.  We do not want to let one countries' social mores,
political restrictions, civil rights restrictions limit who can
participate and how.

However, there's no country in the world where pedophilia is legal.
It's poorly enforced in some, but there are laws against it even
there.

What it comes down to - the very presence of an editor who is known to
be a pedophile or pedophilia advocate is disruptive to the community,
and quite possibly damaging to it, inherently to them being who they
are and them being open about it.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com