[Foundation-l] foundation-l Digest, Vol 67, Issue 50

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 03:09:28 UTC 2009

2009/11/1 Mike Godwin <mnemonic at gmail.com>:
> Thomas Dalton writes:
>
> Perhaps this is a wrong-side-of-the-pond issue. In the UK if an
>> employer calls it redundancy when actually they just want to replace
>> you they would get sued for wrongful dismissal in an instant.
>

> In the U.S.A., employers operate under similar though not identical
> constraints. This is true even when the employers are charities are
> public-interest organizations.

Regarding calling it one thing when it is actually another, you may
well be right, however as I understand it there isn't any need in the
US (or at least in some states) to try and pretend it's a redundancy
because you don't need a reason to dismiss someone. In the UK you can
only fire someone if you have evidence of wrongdoing and have followed
all the appropriate procedures (verbal warnings, written warnings,
etc.).