[Foundation-l] foundation-l Digest, Vol 67, Issue 50

Mike Godwin mnemonic at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 02:58:07 UTC 2009

Thomas Dalton writes:

Perhaps this is a wrong-side-of-the-pond issue. In the UK if an
> employer calls it redundancy when actually they just want to replace
> you they would get sued for wrongful dismissal in an instant.

In the U.S.A., employers operate under similar though not identical
constraints. This is true even when the employers are charities are
public-interest organizations.

It's not really an issue about commitment to transparency. Anyone who wants
the Foundation and similar organizations to fully disclose all personnel
matters needs to lobby Congress to create immunity from lawsuits for such
organizations that do so. Until then, such organizations -- and, in my
experience, government agencies as well, except for political appointees --
are obligated by the legal framework we work in to refrain from disclosing
every detail about even the most friendly and business-like departures.

--Mike