[Foundation-l] getting Wikipedia to the 5.2 billion people who can't access it

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Sun May 31 16:13:00 UTC 2009

On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 11:09 AM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>wrote:

> 2009/5/31 Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com>:
> > Hoi,
> > Much of the Wave  functionality demonstrated is superior to what is
> > available in MediaWiki. Consider a LAN with OPLC systems, consider a Wave
> > server on the school server.. It would be pretty damn good to be able to
> > have all kinds of activities that makes use of the functionality that is
> > part of the reference implementation. Consider what a talk page would
> look
> > like when with the Wave "back" functionality.
>
> Wave has some great features for those of us that edit Wikipedia, but
> we're talking about people reading it. The only way to edit it is via
> a live internet connection, I can't see anything else working unless
> we get some vastly improved edit conflict handling.

If you watched the Wave presentation you'll see that there is quite a bit of
edit conflict handling already built in (they showed three people editing
the same page simultaneously).

> All people reading Wikipedia need is a plain HTML file per article, nothing
> more.

Easier said than done, though.  The static HTML Wikipedia dumps haven't been
updated since June 2008.  With Wave, updates are instantaneous.