[Foundation-l] getting Wikipedia to the 5.2 billion people who can't access it

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Sun May 31 13:55:16 UTC 2009

On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 9:42 AM, Gerard Meijssen
<gerard.meijssen at gmail.com>wrote:

> One question is how
> will resources will react when newer data becomes available, will it
> synchronise?

That seems to be part of the protocol.  You'd set up a bot which makes the
updates, and add it.  Someone on the LAN would have to run a server, but
that server would only need intermittent access.  In fact, a bot might even
be set up to allow *write* access through this intermittent connection.

Now my understanding is that the protocol for interserver communication
isn't completed, and who knows it may be vaporware.  But it's an intriguing
possibility.  (As I said in a previous message, finally the platform I need
for P2Pedia is here.)

When you think of Wave as a replacement for e-mail it is easy to forget
> about the other aspects of Wave.

Yeah, Wave became interesting to me as soon as I stopped thinking of it as a
replacement for e-mail, and more like a distributed private (access
controlled) wiki.