[Foundation-l] Google Wave and Wikimedia projects

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Sat May 30 23:40:38 UTC 2009

Judson Dunn wrote:

> I can't sell my luddite co-workers on the idea of a blog, or a
> wiki, but this is more obviously approachable. For more normal
> web users, there are obviously a lot of advanced uses as well.

Google Wave combines many concepts, such as mail discussion
threads, Twitter-like short message discussions, instant
messaging, wiki-like edit history and an animated playback.
The idea of showing diffs since the user last viewed the same
wave, is very similar to Flagged revisions.

My guess is that this mix is too advanced for most users and will
be a hard sell, almost like an automobile with a joystick (like an
airplane) instead of a steering wheel.

As a stand-alone server on a developer team intranet server, this
might be useful, perhaps a competitor to MediaWiki+Bugzilla or
Trac.  But the server-to-server federation protocol is useful only
when many others run compatible servers, and that could take a
long time.  Google can of course let GMail and Blogger run this
protocol, but that doesn't mean all existing users will start to
understand "wave" conversations.  Instead, old-school e-mail
conversations might take place over this new protocol.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)