[Foundation-l] Licensing resolution

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Fri May 22 14:05:10 UTC 2009

Thanks to everyone for handling the process so cleanly, and with an
abundance of good information.

Would it be possible to change the license switch to August 1 rather
than June 15?

I would like to point out the next major step, for which there is no
time to lose : content compatibility with other GFDL sites will become
impossible on August 1 -- after then, not only will we no longer be
able to import materials currently under the GFDL (which will become
impossible as soon as we decide to switch over licenses), but it will
also no longer be possible for currently GFDL massively-collaborative
sites to choose to make the same switchover that we are making (the
GFDL provision is only valid until August 1).

There are hundreds of educational sites with excellent material that
have chosen their current GFDL license in order to be compatible with
Wikipedia.  Some of them will not be able to decide to switch
licensing terms by August 1; others do not qualify for the
license-switching option in the first place.  We should make a serious
devoted effort to reach all of them -- including informing readers
about what is going on and how they can help preserve compatibility of
license with their own sites.

SJ