[Foundation-l] Wikipedians groups on LinkedIn?

Pavlo Shevelo pavlo.shevelo at gmail.com
Thu May 14 20:50:46 UTC 2009

Hi David,

I do believe that you received recently the letter sent by Wikipedians
group "owner" Klaas Van Buiten

________________________
LinkedIn Groups

Group: Wikipedians
Subject: Announcement from Wikipedians
Hi everybody,

We have an overlap with a much larger group called Wikipedia Users Group.
I've seen many of you, including me :-) are yet a member.
If some of you want to keep this one alive as well, I'll respect this.
If not I will delete this group after everybody is accepted in this one:
http://www.linkedin.com/groups?about=&gid=39542&trk=anet_ug_grppro
Posted By Klaas Van Buiten

________________________

This letter illustrates the way to consolidate the LinkedIn groups and
I guess is there any other way to do that.

I'm quite surprised that you're sort of suspicious about
http://www.linkedin.com/groups?about=&gid=39542 as the group "owner"
is Jimmy Wales and this name should sound familiar to many of us (his
LinkedIn profile claims "I am the founder of Wikia, Wikipedia and the
Wikimedia Foundation. I currently serve as the Chair Emeritus and
Board Member of the Wikimedia Foundation and Chair of Wikia, Inc.") :)
.
I guess that "running it for “networking,”" is not well phrased
explanation sent sometime by Steven Burda, who is group manager ("the
guy running it" in your wording).

Interestingly that http://www.linkedin.com/groups?about=&gid=39542 is
the group that Wikipedians group should be consolidated with according
to above mentioned Klaas letter.

As to your proposal to create special wiki page to coodinate the
consolidation process it can help

Regards,

Pavlo Shevelo
Kyiv, Ukraine