[Foundation-l] Murdoch newspaper websites to go paywall -opportunity for citizen journalism!

Fred Bauder fredbaud at fairpoint.net
Mon May 11 19:03:36 UTC 2009

If things were different, they would be different. Right now Wikinews can
serve as an aggregator of news first published elsewhere, but Google and
Yahoo can do it better. We can do some original work, at our own expense.

When and if the crisis affecting paper newspapers gets worse an
opportunity may arise to fill a need not being adequately met. But that
need can also be met by new newspapers or on-line sites, perhaps run by
cooperatives made up of experienced laid-off journalists, unburdened by
the heavy burden of debt, onerous labor contracts, and overhead costs
existing newspapers labor under. They may be organized as non-profit
corporations, perhaps subsidized by foundation or even government
subsidies, think Amtrak...

Fred