[Foundation-l] Murdoch newspaper websites to go paywall -opportunity for citizen journalism!

Ziko van Dijk zvandijk at googlemail.com
Mon May 11 18:54:30 UTC 2009

Sorry if this point may have been brought up before, but a difference
between Wikipedia and Wikinews is also the text sort. Journalistic
texts have a broader range of stiles, neutrality is handled
differently, opinion is less taboo than in an encyclopedia. This makes
journalistic texts more individualistic - and less collaborative. And
journalism is digging out original knowledge, this requires a person
who is responsable and can be made responsable.
Ziko

2009/5/11 Nathan <nawrich at gmail.com>:
> All of the questions enumerated by Lars are exactly on point - and
> ultimately, I wonder if there is an answer in there that will allow Wikinews
> to be widely useful. It may be that there isn't, for now, and that it won't
> be broadly useful as a news source until the dynamics of the online news
> business changes.
>
> I say useful as a news source because it seems like there may be other
> positive uses for Wikinews as a project. Our focus with all projects is
> generating (or collecting) free content in a reusable and easily accessible
> format - but that doesn't have to be the limit, and over time the Foundation
> is branching into other niches where we can have a beneficial educational
> impact outside of our now "traditional" role.
>
> There is, for instance, much discussion in the news world about the future
> of journalism[1] and specifically investigative reporting and the role of
> reportage in democracy. Wikinews may not be able to play a significant role
> in developing the future of journalism as a source for news, but I could see
> it being a significant player as an alternative method of training
> journalists and as a way to give new journalists experience and exposure in
> an era of shrinking newsroom budgets. Perhaps the best role for Wikinews in
> the Wikimedia movement is not in its reporting, per se, but in generating
> experienced journalists and developing the news field for a post-newspaper
> future.
>
> Nathan
>

> [1] As a good example, see Frank Rich's column in the New York Times, "The
> American Press on Suicide Watch",
> http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/10/opinion/10rich.html

Ziko van Dijk
NL-Silvolde