[Foundation-l] Cross-wiki articles

Amir Elisha Aharoni amir.aharoni at gmail.com
Sun May 10 08:27:53 UTC 2009

On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 11:08, Yoni Weiden <yonidebest at gmail.com> wrote:
> If the bottom line is that people resort to en-wp because they have the
> information which other wikis don't have, people who cannot read English
> have a disadvantage. I do not think this is the foundation's intention.

Again: if it's not in he.wikipedia, it doesn't mean that it doesn't
exist. It can be written in Hebrew in some other website.

Agreement within a given language Wikipedia community is more
important for the advancement of the Wikipedia in that language on the
whole. Taking a few articles to a different site is not a very high
price to pay for that.

> Cross-Wiki policies can be made. For example, if X (number) wikipedias have
> an article about Y (subject), all other wikipedias are required to allow
> creation of said article.
>
> i.e. "Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire" episode is published in no less
> than 15 languages. Above policy means that the creation of this article
> should be allowed in he-wp, and not deleted due to insignificance in the
> eyes of 57% of the he-wp community.

Won't happen. It happens quite a lot that an article about a bogus
topic is translated to many languages, because the person trying to
promote it goes out of his way to help the well-meaning local
community members. Example:

* deleted in he and en:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Shmuel_Yerushalmi_(2nd_nomination)
* ... but alive and well in es and 14 more languages:
http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shmuel_Yerushalmi

There you go: An article in fifteen languages about a totally
non-notable poet. There are many more example of such things.

--
Amir E. Aharoni

heb: http://haharoni.wordpress.com | eng: http://aharoni.wordpress.com
cat: http://aprenent.wordpress.com | rus: http://amire80.livejournal.com