[Foundation-l] Murdoch newspaper websites to go paywall - opportunity for citizen journalism!

Sage Ross ragesoss+wikipedia at gmail.com
Fri May 8 23:15:22 UTC 2009

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 7:33 AM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/may/07/rupert-murdoch-charging-websites
>
> Time for Wikinews to get recruiting ...
>

> - d.

Maybe we should also try rethinking how Wikinews works, namely, by
following Clay Shirky's advice for social media and "go where people
are convening online, rather than starting a new place to convene".
Wikinews isn't new, per se, but it's new to the great majority of
established and potential citizen journalists out there.  We need to
find ways of bringing Wikinews--as an opportunity for collaboration,
rather than finished product--to the places where real and potential
citizen journalists convene.

I blogged my thoughts in this vein a few days ago,
http://ragesossscholar.blogspot.com/2009/05/rethinking-wikinews.html ,
but I'm sure there are lots of other potential ways to make Wikinews a
positive and significant force in this period of turmoil for
journalism.

-Sage (User:Ragesoss)