[Foundation-l] Murdoch newspaper websites to go paywall - opportunity for citizen journalism!

Brian Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu
Fri May 8 05:34:25 UTC 2009

I'm with Murdoch on this one. Have you seen what's happening to television
at Hulu, and textbooks with the Kindle? Newspapers going behind a paywall is
only too obvious. The current business model of "give it away but put up
some display ads" is simply not sustainable. It only exists because a better
business model has not yet presented itself.
Textbook companies aren't going the way of many newspapers. They will only
sell copies of their books that are tied to specific DRM models such as the
Kindle provides, and they will artificially jack the prices up just as they
have done with paper textbooks. The newspaper companies that haven't failed
are likely to follow suit.

Probably we are just seeing the beginning of the micropayment concept. I
kind of prefer it as I really, really hate looking at advertisements. Hulu
is nice enough to tell me how many seconds the advertisement lasts. I surf
the web with mute on for exactly that long..

Kind of a mishmash of ideas but they seem quite related. We are definitely
going through a shift from free to paid content online. Wikipedia is ever
more important..

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 11:05 PM, Jussi-Ville Heiskanen <cimonavaro at gmail.com