[Foundation-l] Usability Study Results (Sneak Preview)

Brian Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu
Fri May 8 00:31:07 UTC 2009

> Based on these criteria, the 2,500 users that responded to our survey were
> filtered down to 500 viable subjects based on their answers to these
> questions. The team, along with B|P, partnered with Davis Recruiting to
> contact, filter, and screen these 500 participants based on their Wikipedia
> contribution history, Wikipedia usage patterns, their given reasons for not
> contributing, and their talkativeness and openness to discuss their thoughts
> and actions. From 2,500 users, we ended up with 10 study participants and
> 3-5 waitlisted participants.

You went from 2,500 subjects to just 10? Remote testing allows you to study
a virtually unlimited number of participants in a fully natural environment,
not some clean room. If you're going to clean up the interface by moving
high-utility elements to the areas users tend to look at most, then I'd
recommend bringing them into the office. Otherwise, you need to catch them
in their regular routine - they perform a Google search, it lands them at
Wikipedia. What happens next? Do you feel like you have the answer to this
question after your local studies? They see a bit of information is
incorrect. How many users *just don't get what Wikipedia is* at that stage?
Of those who get it, what happens next? I'm talking about in the course of
their day, in the middle of whatever it is they were doing they needed
information, how does Wikipedia actually get used? That's a usability test,
and you have no clue!