[Foundation-l] More on Wikimedia strategic planning

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Sun May 3 13:11:35 UTC 2009

2009/5/3 Jussi-Ville Heiskanen <cimonavaro at gmail.com>:
> I suspect the contrary. There were initial claims that CD's
> would be nigh impossible to degrade, and the truth turned
> out to be completely at variance with the assertions.

I don't remember those claims (although I wasn't paying all that much
attention to the subject at the time), who made them? Modern CDs are
far better than the early ones, as I understand it (although not good
enough for this purpose, even without the issue of needing a reader
for them).

> I really think a proven track record counts in this actual case.
> Surely it would be useful to place those vellum records where
> it is known they have in the past come to no harm.

How well proven is the track record for vellum? Lots has survived,
certainly, but how much didn't?

> On the unconnected point of value of materials; really it would
> be much preferred if the material itself had as little intrinsic
> value as possible.

That is a good point.