[Foundation-l] More on Wikimedia strategic planning

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Sun May 3 13:05:27 UTC 2009

Thomas Dalton wrote:
> 2009/5/3 Jussi-Ville Heiskanen <cimonavaro at gmail.com>:
>
>> Besides the off-planet complete database-backup I envisioned,
>> another intriguing conceit would be to start on the process
>> of transcribing wikipedia onto vellum with non-corrosive and
>> persistent ink (I don't think there are enough stone tablets, or
>> even clay for tablets to ever suffice, but vellum is clearly unlimited,
>> if a little slow to come by).
>>
>> Naturally it would be reasonable to start the work on either the
>> 1000 articles each wikipedia should have, or perhaps the featured
>> articles or the like in each language. Or on the other hand, on the
>> general theory of wikipedian ethos, simply as the spirit moved
>> each actual artisan skilled in the art of old-fashioned calligraphy.
>>

> I like the idea, but surely there is a better way than hand written
> calligraphy? At the very least, you could get an electronic printer to
> print onto vellum. Etching or engraving on some mostly un-reactive
> metal might work (although un-reactive metals are generally very
> expensive, and not coincidentally). There may be some new fangled
> option (probably made of carbon - most new fangled things are made of
> carbon) that could be used. Going back to techniques that are 1000s of
> years old has its merits (we have direct empirical evidence that they
> work) but I expect there are better options.

I suspect the contrary. There were initial claims that CD's
would be nigh impossible to degrade, and the truth turned
out to be completely at variance with the assertions.

I really think a proven track record counts in this actual case.
Surely it would be useful to place those vellum records where
it is known they have in the past come to no harm.

On the unconnected point of value of materials; really it would
be much preferred if the material itself had as little intrinsic
value as possible.

Yours,

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen