[Foundation-l] More on Wikimedia strategic planning

geni geniice at gmail.com
Sat May 2 20:49:27 UTC 2009

2009/5/2 Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>:
> What would they spend it on? Talk is cheap, after all! Having
> conversations is easy, having focused conversations that actually
> reach useful conclusions is a little harder, but it isn't more
> expensive.

Data gathering, test setups whatever. If there isn't a budget there is
little incentive for wikipedians to deal with a a system that even by
wikipedia standards is painfully bureaucratic.

Consider I can spend time messing around with working groups and
subgroups that are somehow meant to work on the problems of "Reach,
Quality and Participation" with zero budget and annoying bureaucratic
barriers.

Or I could join:

Wikipedia:WikiProject Wikipedia Outreach
Wikipedia:Version 1.0 Editorial Team
And probably Wikipedia:WikiProject Community

With out a budget what can the committees offer that doesn't appear
through existing channels? Focus talk? Perhaps but there is no way to
enforce that and keeping a group of wikipedians focused on anything
for any length of time is pretty much impossible. Access to foundation
personnel? Doesn't appear to be on offer and it's hard to guarantee
useful access.
--
geni